On , I took a day trip to eastern Colorado to see the Hoyt Radio Tower, one of the tallest structures in the world. It is actually hard to get to the tower if you don't have the route pre-planned, since cell reception is spotty out on the plains.
I would like to share my directions, and some of the places I saw along the way.
NOTE: This entire trip took about 5-6 hours, starting from Broomfield, CO.
- To begin, head east on CO SH 52, which is the highway that goes through Ft. Lupton and Dacono.
- Keep heading east, through Keenesburg, past the Wild Animal Sanctuary, and through Prospect Valley.
- LANDMARK: Eventually, you will pass a large AT&T cell tower on your left. Keep going.
- When CO SH 52 turns left/north, make a right. Ignore the sign that says "Hoyt."
- Where the road splits, turn right/west. You will pass by the Hoyt Cemetery.
- Where the road splits, turn left/south.
- If you keep going south, you will reach Hoyt, at the intersection of CR 4 and CR B. The Hoyt Community Center is a bit west of here.
- From Hoyt, CO, keep going south, and turn left/east at the intersection with 168th Ave.
- Turn right on Mimosa Rd.
- Mimosa Rd. ends at the town of Leader. There is a fire station, and a derelict community hall.
SUGGESTION: If this community hall was restored, it would be an awesome place for concerts. Retro feel, and no-one around to bother you. Perfect for a midwestern surf-rock band.
HOYT RADIO TOWER
Hoyt Radio Tower is the tallest structure in Colorado, and one of the tallest structures in the world. The tower is almost 2,000 feet tall, but it is hard to get a sense of its height, because there's nothing around it to compare it to.
- From the town of Leader, CO, head left/east until you reach CR 57/Deter-Winters road, and then head left (north)
- The Hoyt Radio Tower should be on the right.
- Driving north from the Hoyt Radio Tower, turn right/east onto 152nd Ave.
- Turn left/north onto CR 62.
- At the end of CR 62, turn left/west onto CR A.
- Turn right/north at CR 14, and Adena, CO is just up the road. The main attraction is the Adena Union Church and Cemetery.